Visitors

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Writing for New Media, a Library Experience

For the Jan. 20th class of Writing for New Media (brought to you by Natasha Kassulke), we had a casual visit to the Madison Area Technical College -- Truax Library, which was not an entire waste of time. A presentation, by our Library Services Planner Matt Coan, was brought to us, with the main focus being on the new Social Media world.

As a whole, his presentation offered a great look at the various tools and habits of this new world. However, the majority of the presentation seemed to be targeting at the "new" social media writer, and those with experience could take very little out of it that they didn't already realize.

A few good key things that were presented included the examples using the MATC Libraries Facebook Page. The presentation of this page allowed those with no actual experience to see how this knowledge is used in the real world, and at the same time showed people currently with their wrists deep in the world to see other examples of how social media is utilized.

MATC Libraries Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/MadisonCollegeLibraries

Another site that was presented would be the main MATC Library Page, which showed how other tools can not only be utilized, but embedded straight into the websites themselves. This showed how others could design their own websites.

MATC Libraries Main Site: http://library.matcmadison.edu/

Lastly, the ideas flowing around the use of correct grammar and punctuation on the internet were intriguing, however, I find that everyone has their own truths when it comes to such issues. For me, whether it be texting, blogging, twitter'ing (which I call Twiting, ya Twits) or Facebook'ing, I will always find myself using grammar fully, to the best of my ability. The reasoning behind this is that, while it may be simpler to write "lik dis 4 da net" and take a little less time, I find that each and everything I publish online is a reflection of me. Since I am not majorlly mentally impaired or in high school, I will continue to write my best, utilizing my grammar and punctuation to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment